Friday, July 22, 2011

Gold kiwifruit upside down cake

Last night, I made the Gold kiwifruit upside down cake.  Of course, it became my dessert/afternoon snack today.  I followed the recipe from taste.com.au with slight changes.



Gold kiwifruit upside down cake

Ingredients (serves 10)

30g butter, melted
2 tbs brown sugar
2 firm gold kiwifruit, peeled, cut into 5mm slices
125g butter, at room temperature
1 cup (220g) sugar   (I used regular sugar.  The original recipe used castor sugar.)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
(I don't have self-raising flour, so I used  1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour, 2 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon of salt)
1/2 cup (45g) desiccated coconut (I used those small shredded coconut that are used for making glutinous rice balls)
3/4 cup (185ml) orange juice


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 20cm-square cake pan with non-stick baking paper. (I used a Round Springform Cake Pan without the non-stick baking paper.) Pour the butter over the base of the pan and sprinkle with the brown sugar, then top with the kiwifruit in a single layer.
  2. Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar for 3 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour, coconut and orange juice until combined.
  3. Spoon over the kiwifruit. Smooth the surface. Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 10 minutes before turning out.


Overall
I would give this cake 3.5/5.
The texture of this cake is in between a cake and a coconut macaroon. 
The sourness in the top layer kiwi balances well with the sweetness in the cake.  It makes the overall taste not too sweet. 
I like the kiwi layer.  However, Wen doesn't like the sourness in the kiwi layer.  He prefers not to have that layer.  I guess he has a bigger sweet tooth than me.  ;-)

No comments: