Thursday, February 16, 2006

Virtual Desktops for Windows

I really like the idea of virtual desktops, because one desktop will easily be over-crowded if many applications are opened. If I minimize all applications, the icons in task bar will be very small. I usually have to maximize a couple of windows in order to find the one I want.

I used to work in Unix environment. Solaris by default has 4 virtual desktops. I would open up many applications and group those applications into different desktops by projects. It was great.! :-) Unfortunately, windows only has one desktop.

Today, I came across a web site that offers virtual desktops for windows... and the best thing is... It's free!!

http://virt-dimension.sourceforge.net/

Virtual Dimension is a free, fast, and feature-full virtual desktop manager for Windows platform. The main goal of this open-source project is indeed to enhance the Microsoft "Window Manager" up to the level of usual Unix Window Manager, by providing virtual desktops, as well as some additional features, like always on top, window shading.

I've been using this software for 2 days (installed yesterday). It is excellent! I can:
- set different wallpapers for each desktop
- set short-cut keys for each desktop
- change name for each desktop
- etc...

I just have a few small/minor complains:
- switching between virtual desktops is not as fast as I expected.... It's slower than unix.
- when IE hangs, I have to close this software in order to close/kill the IE.
- task bar will have spaces when switching between desktops.

Overall, this software is highly recommended. Once you use it, you don't want to switch back using one desktop. ;-)

No comments: