Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Red eye again....

My left eye was very red yesterday. I was again sensitive to light, just like last time. But this time wasn't as serious as last time. I was able to drive home from Brampton office. Well, the left eye was closed most of the time during driving. really "只眼開只眼閉"... hahahaha...

After I dropped off my co-worker, I was planning to see a walk-in clinic doctor, but the stupid nurses at my family doctor's office gave me the address of a walk-in clinic that was not open on Monday!!! Why didn't I go to see my family doctor? Well, I couldn't get an appointment until Thurs. So, I just went home. I did sleep very early last night.

This morning, my left eye is not as red, only slightly pink. I decide to see doctor at another walk-in clinic. According to that doctor, I have Conjunctivitis or "pink eye". I have to use Fusidic acid 1% sterile eye drops twice daily for 7 days.

Since doctor didn't prescribe any antibiotics, I must have viral conjunctivitis.


What is Conjunctivitis?

Pink eye or conjunctivitis refers to a redness or irritation of the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids and the membranes (conjuctiva) covering the whites of the eyes. It is usually caused by a virus, bacteria or allergy.

Viral Conjunctivitis is induced by viruses that spread from various ailments like colds, sore throats, respiratory infections


What are the symptoms?
  • usually affects one eye but can move to both
  • associate with more of a watery discharge, not green or yellow in color
  • the eyelids may be swollen
  • Sometimes looking at bright lights is painful
  • one site even mentions that the cause can be dry eyes from lack of tears or exposure to wind and sun

Viral pink eye is highly contagious.

While viral pink eye may not require an antibiotic, those affected should see a doctor, as occasionally this form of pink eye can be associated with infection of the cornea, (the clear portion of the front of the eyeball). This infection must be correctly detected and treated.


What is the treatment for viral conjunctivitis?
  • wash your hands frequently
  • avoid touching or rubbing your eyes
  • warm compresses may help soothe your eyes
  • contact lens wearers should remove them until the infection clears

Pink eye is very common. It usually is not serious and goes away in 7 to 10 days without medical treatment.



More about Conjunctivitis:
All About Vision
Medicine Net
EyeCare Source
WebMD

No comments: