It's a fixed feelings, happy and sad. On one hand, I am happy that we, humans, can build a structure that is taller than the previous world's tallest building. On the other hand, we, Canadians, loses the title of having the world's tallest building in our country.
Should I laugh about this? Or, should I cry about this?
- The CN Tower was built in 1976 by Canadian National (CN) who wanted to demonstrate the strength of Canadian industry by building a tower taller than any other in the world.
- CN Tower opened to the public on June 26, 1976
- CN Tower holds the Guinness World Record for the World's Tallest Building
- Eiffel Tower (Paris) - 324 m
- Empire State (New York) - 381 m
- Sears Tower (Chicago) - 442 m
- Petronas Towers (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) - 452 m
- Taipei 101 (Taipei, Taiwan) - 508 m
- CN Tower (Toronto) - 553 m
- Burj Dubai (Dubai) - Current height = 555 m; Projected height = 800 m
Globe and Mail